Saturday, November 18, 2017

So Many Blessings

Cathy and I have been blessed beyond measure to get to travel the globe. I get that this is a truism and want everyone to realize we understand how blessed we are and continue to be. For those who have not had the good fortune to see other countries, or other regions of our own massive United States (or Canada), I entice you to take a trip to some place new, even if that place is close to home.

I have some personal favorites that come to mind both near and far (at least from my personal locale) that I have seen and touched and will share with you here in hopes that you might see the beauty of our own nation. Many of these trips are affordable and worth your time and energy to get to--so get out there and see stuff!

(Note: Yes, I am aware that I sound like a dime store travel guide)

Mt. Cheaha, Alabama

This mountain was a place very special to the Muscogee Indians who inhabited the land around it for generations. The highest point in Alabama, as well as the highest point south of Interstate 20, Mt. Cheaha is rife with hiking trails and campgrounds for those seeking time alone in the densely wooded area. I especially love this mountain and have spent countless hours hiking the Pinhoti Trail from the top down through the valleys below. From atop Cheaha you can peer down on the Coosa Valley and see the end of the Appalachian Mountain Chain, for which Cheaha is a part. The ridges of the mountain always remind me of a sleeping dragon, but I digress...

New Orleans, Louisiana

The Crescent City is both filthy and simultaneously beautiful. Tragedy and victory lie within the city's walls, as we all remember Hurricane Katrina and revel in the port's rich and dynamic history. Much has been written about the French Quarter, so I won't go into great detail here. I will say that it is a worthwhile trip for folks within easy driving distance to take in a place so rich in Americana. And the food--Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

Easily the most breathtaking views in the eastern half of the United States. The history of the area is tantalizing and the Appalachians to your west are amazing. Naturally, Fall foliage is something to see, but I prefer a drive through the valley during winter time when snow sits atop the mountainous peaks.

New York City, New York

I must profess a love-hate relationship with what locals call "the city." I enjoy visiting once in a blue moon, and despise the place toward the end because of the hustle and bustle, and much rudeness that abounds in the Big Apple. That said, there is no finer dining than NYC, and my favorite area of Chinatown is the largest of its namesake in the United States. You can't beat the fun of Chinatown during the summer. The East Village has very cool clubs and excellent food, but for an incredible evening, try the rooftop lounge of the Empire Hotel.

Moab, Utah

One of the funkiest towns I've ever visited. Moab sits in the southeast of one of the most beautiful states in the country and is also nearby one of my favorite places-Arches National Park. Hippies and wannabes comb the streets during the summer. Don't be surprised when a twenty-something white guy with dread locks waits on you at a local restaurant. Oh, and don't sit around the town and not see the Delicate Arch. It's worth the short hike up a steep rock hill to see that incredible work of nature!

Crescent City, California

You can keep San Diego, Los Angeles and the entire Bay Area. Those places aren't my cup of tea, but the small village of Crescent City is amazing. Nestled between the Pacific Ocean and the jaw dropping Redwood Forest lies a gem of a town. The locals are so very friendly. Take a couple mile journey from town to see the biggest trees imaginable standing proudly in the California rain forest. Yes, it does rain (constantly) in northern California. Don't forget to watch for sea lions on the rock walls next to the PCH (US Highway 1, or the Pacific Coast Highway).

Boston, Massachusetts

Boston is a very interesting city. It's small, as far as metropolitan areas are concerned, but it is rich in history and wonder. For a southerner, the people can be crude and callous, but don't let that sway your opinion of the place. Remember, we seem like backwoods folk to them. :)  If you visit Boston, I highly recommend taking a ridiculous ride on one of Ducks, the land/sea flotilla that is owned by the city that offers historical tours both on land and river. Friends took me on this tour a few years ago and I will never forget it. Great times, indeed!

Portland, Oregon

Portland is a strange town, in that bicyclists and pedestrians have more road rights than motorists. Be careful if you drive around town. Should you hit one of the aforementioned, you will likely be held for cause, even if it wasn't your fault. All that aside, hanging out in a town guarded by the glorious Mt. Hood is always fun. I loved Jimmy Mak's jazz club for an evening of soothing music and good food.

St. Augustine, Florida

I have often told people that St. Augustine is my favorite place in the United States, and that hasn't changed. I have walked the "Old City" so many times that I have gotten to know local shop owners on a first name basis. St. Augustine is the oldest, continuously inhabited city in the country. Founded in 1565 by the Spanish, the town still houses the Castillo de San Marcos: the Spanish fort built to protect the town from invaders. The lighthouse that sits a few miles from the Castillo is a favorite place of ghost hunters and Isabella's Cigar Shop on Cuna Street is one of my favorite haunts (no pun intended). If you stop in, tell Isabella that Cathy and I said hello. She's a wonderful Cuban-American lady with fantastic stories to tell.

These are just a few of my favorite places to visit in the U.S. I hope you have the opportunity to visit a few of them, or compile a list of your own personal favorites. You can't beat traveling and experiencing new places, and our grand country should be explored as much as any other place you favor.

Have fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...