Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should not. Should we exercise restraint in speech and the written word? Sure. Am I always capable? No.

That said, the silencing of conservative voices by leftist social media sites is unfortunate. They do so under the ridiculous guise of racism (at this point everything is racist), homophobia (do people really fear homosexuals or homosexuality?), or something written that is taken out of context and been made into something "offensive. It is sad that half a country disagrees with certain positions and screams at the sky to silence their counterparts.

I, for one, will continue to voice my opinions and concerns in spite of those who are so easily offended. Taking offense to something is not necessary mutually exclusive to being offended by something legitimately offensive. At some point, I believe Americans will revolt, outright, to this censorship. Their pocketbooks will be sealed and investors will continue to grow wary about lost revenue. 

Additionally, I shall not fear repercussions from my words. Generally, I think about what I say and how I say it. Do I post some controversial things in order to generate conversation and thought? Yes, I certainly do. Do I regret some things I've said or posted? Absolutely. Even I get caught up in the emotions invoked by some topics. 

It would be pretty wonderful if people could get a grip on free speech, what the phrase means, and how it should never be avoided...even when someone is offended by it.

Peace, love, and free speech.

~h

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...