Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Life is Short-Only Now do I Know What it Means

Growing up we all heard it--"have fun, life is short."  When you're young that particular phrase has little meaning because you're still on the 'new' side of life.  Family, friends, career: we work so hard at these three things, these societal norms that the word 'life' takes on a new meaning.  Accomplishments, personal and professional, are those things of which life is made.


Yes, those things ARE life, and very, very important parts of it, but so is self-expression, laughter, breathing, seeing, and listening.  It's become much more clear to me, with each passing day, that we take so much beyond the point of seriousness, including ourselves.  Is there really so much self-worth that we believe our own lives are worth more than the person next to us, around the corner, or standing on the street?


I tell you friends, I find myself laughing at more and more and taking everything less seriously all the time.  Some people find this developing trait to be annoying, but me...I think it's endearing.  By taking myself less seriously I find I enjoy things, little things and big things, more than I would otherwise.


None of this means you should be less driven or ambitious, it simply means those focal points shouldn't define you as an individual.  It's okay to be passionate about something, but not at the expense of others, or just as importantly, yourself. 


For many years in corporate settings I've watched some walk over others in an attempt to elevate themselves.  I've figured out that they were only standing on the shoulders and backs of the ones that made it happen for them, and more often than not they were later exposed for their ethical shortcomings. 

What does "life is short" mean to me?  All that I've written above and a little more.  It means peace, love, laughter, music, learning, education....and just being good to one another. 

Except for the buttholes of the world. 

I jest.

Peace to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...