Friday, August 12, 2016

Our Homeless

I work in Atlanta, Georgia and see homelessness every day on my ride into the city.  Naturally, I've born witness to poverty all over the world, and always feel a strong sense of remorse for not being able to help folks who have found themselves, for whatever reason, in such a terrible position in life.


Of course, as with anything else, there are scammers out there who make a fanciful living begging for money on street corners or at intersections.  I recall one such instance when I would see the same guy at the same intersection each day when I lived and worked in Chicago.  One day, as I approached the intersection, the young man was hopping around and smiling, presumably listening to music on a phone or iPod.  As soon as the light turned red and the cars were forced to stop, his body position changed to some sort of slumped over, malnourished being .  His face contorted into one so pitiful, had I not just witnessed the transition, I would have thought him truly unhappy, without family, and homeless.  This guy was gaming people and most likely making a fair living working the street.


A few years ago, I wrote about a homeless guy panhandling in the street while I was in Raleigh, North Carolina.  This guy was amazing, and as I stood there talking to him, he on his two prosthetic legs in the middle of the road, a guy stopped and handed him a dollar.  The man, he referred to himself as Everyman (I'll never forget that), handed me the dollar and told me to donate it to my church.  What a guy!  Of course, I handed him his dollar...but can you imagine that?


There is this one unfortunate gentleman who begs for change with regularity not far from where I now work.  I had my doubts about his homeless status, and figured he lived in some government paid housing not far from the area.  I say that to repeat what our moms taught us long ago--don't assume anything.


On my way home one day, I crossed under Interstate Twenty, making my usual left turn to drive up the on-ramp.  As I sat at the red light awaiting my turn, something caught my attention from the corner of my eye--movement directly under the interstate and above the steep concrete wall.  There in the small area created by the top of the wall and the bottom of the highway lay a man.  He rested on his side in the sweltering heat and I recognized him immediately.  He had on the same ratty white t-shirt and jeans I had seen that morning on my way into work.  I can't even begin to tell you how bad I felt for him and how upset with myself I was for thinking he was scamming people out of their money.


The next day, as I exited the interstate, I saw him.  He would put his hands together in a prayerful motion and bow to each car that passed him by.  I stopped and handed him five dollars and he looked up at me with his rheumy eyes and a blank face. 


"Thank you so much, sir.  God Bless you and please pray for me."  That's what he said to me.


Now, I don't know what he did that five dollars, and to be honest, I don't really care.  Did I enable more bad behavior?  I don't know, but what I realized was I gave a poor person a moment of relief.  Whether he bought food, cheap wine, or a hit of crack was irrelevant to me, because for just a brief second we were both part of the same stratosphere, and for just a second this guy was given notice by another human being. 



2 comments:

  1. This is why I have such anger and distrust of our government. They will send millions of dollars overseas to Nations who hate us and not spend a dime to help the homeless among our own.

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...