Thursday, March 30, 2017

Spring Time and Stuff

This is both my favorite and least favorite time of the year. Why? The days get much longer and warmer, and yes that is a good thing, in my opinion. But the new greenery is predicated by copious amounts of pollen, which seep into my sinus cavity then down to my chest like a slow moving predator that slowly eats its prey a small morsel at a time. I hack and cough, sputter and whine for a couple weeks until my body slowly acclimates to the seasonal change. I suppose you could say I go through a transition (since that term is used like syrup on pancakes these days).


That said, the best part of Spring for me is my prospective garden. It's that time of year that I break out my tiller, spend lots of money on dirt (what??) and plants so I can eat something I could most likely buy cheaper at the store.


On the downside, I have to mow every weekend, and since Cathy and I maintain two households, that means mowing two yards. Just yesterday I pulled the ole push mower out, hit a piece of chert (that's a sharp porous rock for those who have never seen it), watched a spark fly from under the mower deck and a small piece of the rock remove a quarter sized piece of my epidermis on my left leg. Yeah, that was pleasant.


There is an area in our back yard that we have chosen as the site of our garden. Morning and afternoon sun shine down on it like a cop's spotlight in a methhead's face on the side of Interstate 20 in Atlanta. It's a glorious thing. And we have tall pines in the back that provide shade for the garden during the hottest part of the day. I anticipate a wonderfully tasty haul of fruits, vegetables, and herbs this coming year. 😊


Heck, I really have no problem weeding the garden, as it gives me peace of mind to be one with the tomatoes. In fact, bringing a timely and immediate death to those garden invaders brings a smile to my face. It's an enjoyable experience when you pull a weed up by the roots and throw it to the side so it dries out like clay in a kiln.


So, y'all get out there and enjoy your Spring and Summer. I look forward to sharing photos of our garden as it grows and will most likely share some shots of Cathy's miraculous food she prepares with our fresh fruits and veggies.

Peace, love, and okra to all y'all!  

2 comments:

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...