Wednesday, May 10, 2017

You're Still My Friend

I debated on penning this blog--it seemed so senseless and repetitive to me. We have all read or heard someone talking about taking a break from social media, or disconnecting from the world if you allow it (social media) to consume you (us, we, all, etc.). I suppose I agree with this to an extent, and will be the first to admit that I've allowed someone's written remark to get my dander up, but part of being a mature individual is moving beyond emotion when confronted with a difference of opinion.


Some of my friends are polar opposites of me: politically, socially, and perhaps even morally. Quite often I find myself disagreeing with a belief they hold and, as a result, engage in debate. Other times, some of my friends who disagree with me will do the same. This, folks, is healthy and okay, unless taken to an extreme (and yes, I'm guilty of doing that too).


Over my almost decade on Facebook, and much longer than that in bulletin board groups, the predecessor to social media, I have had the opportunity to meet many of the people I have arbitrarily disagreed with on various topics. As a result of my meeting these individuals, friendships have formed and lasted for almost two decades. Imagine that! Friendships formed even after disagreeing with one another. That's almost unfathomable, isn't it?


Still, after the disagreements and sometimes disparaging remarks, these people, by and large, remain my friends. I have no ill will or animosity toward any of them, because we are all just links in one giant human chain. It is interesting to me to watch people become overwhelmed on a particular topic to the point of eliminating someone completely from their life; a person who, if they were seated directly in front of them, would still be a close friend.


I don't intend this entry to be a lecture; rather, it is just my perception (as limited as it may be) of the intricate relationships forged and destroyed over subjective opinion. To wit, I will tell you, that no matter our disagreement, if you were my friend, you are still my friend. Maybe it is time we examine what friendship means to us--because it must mean something beyond a casual acquaintance.


Be bold in your position, but not so much that you take yourself seriously to the point that you alienate yourself from the world!


Peace, love, and yogurt to you all. 

2 comments:

  1. You expect me to swallow that crap? :-) Seriously sound perspective. And just to think that I would have never met Rex if I had not remained friends with you through some of the thin times. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...