Sunday, May 14, 2017

Coffee is Love

It would be fruitless to attempt to debate the best coffee on the market--I have my preferences and frown upon lattes, milk, sugar, or anything that masks the flavor of a good cup of java. That's me, that's who I am at 5:30 A.M.: I drink black coffee and love it. My coffee is properly perked when I can float a tenpenny nail in it.

Most often, my lovely wife has prepped the coffee the previous night and all I have to do is stumble toward the brew station and press the "on" button. As the water heats up and the station begins gurgling I smile, then watch as wisps of steam roll through the vents positioned on the back of the brewer.

I often get asked what my favorite coffee is--and I have one; rather, I have a favorite roaster. 1565 Coffee is a small roaster located in St. Augustine, Florida, which happens to be the greatest city in the United States, but I digress. Admittedly, I have not tried all their coffees, but the Discovery blend is fantastic. The taste is clean, crisp, with slight burnt nodes at the end. Yum!

That aside, I enjoy breakfast blends, or blonde roasts. Two things here: (1) the darker roasts tend to be much more bitter, and (2) the caffeine content in blonde roasts is slightly higher because the roasting process isn't as harsh or as long. I learned that while working in a coffee plant, one of my favorite tours during my career.

Coffee is a primary staple in my day. It excuses my wild bed head each morning, I.E. "Leave your dad alone and stop laughing at his hair. He hasn't finished his first cup of coffee yet."

In addition, coffee makes me human. As an example, "Don't talk to dad yet. He hasn't had his coffee."

It helps move the work day forward. "Howard, can you do 'x' after you finish your coffee?"

In summary, coffee is the perfect beverage and recent studies prove that it is essential for a strong, healthy body. It has also been proven that it is essential for a longer life for those around me.

Be well, drink coffee, and don't add sugar or creamer. There...now we can be friends.

3 comments:

  1. I just recently started drinking mine black. I had no idea what I was missing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the good side, cuz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to trying some fresh brewed coffee without creamer or sugar after reading your daily experience.

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...