Monday, May 22, 2017

Repairing My Own Stuff

It is not lost on me that there are those men and women incapable of repairing or fixing things around the house. Whether it be plumbing, basic construction repairs or updates, remodeling, etc., there are those who do not know how to do it, or where or how to even begin (youtube is your friend!).

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be the handiest of handymen, but I can hold my own with regards to most things requiring nails, screws, wiring, and PVC...or CPVC. I don't sweat copper--that falls outside my skillset.

Given, my propensity to doing things like this myself was originally driven by distaste of paying someone to do something I was capable of doing myself. Most especially, I began learning how to fix things in my early twenties because I did not have two pennies to spare. Yeah, learning to do DIY was a born of necessity, rather than just being cheap like my children accuse me of being (okay, okay, I'm cheap too, but that was also born of necessity).

I am huge believer in saving money, because you never know when you will need that extra five or ten bucks you put away because you changed your own lawn mower blade or figured out how to spray starter fluid into a carburetor in order to start that same mower. Have you paid to have a plumber come to your house to stop a leak? The service call alone makes me cringe!

Equally, or possibly more important than saving money is the sense of satisfaction you get when you have done it yourself. Sure, it is time consuming, more often than not frustrating, but gratifying when you finish a job and look at it with pride.

"I did that," is a deliciously glorious thing to mumble to yourself. A little gloating is in order and walking around with a big smile on your face is warranted. Let me also say there is nothing wrong in attempting to do it yourself then asking for help. That is how you learn: trying and watching. Soon enough you will be handyman/woman.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...