Thursday, October 5, 2017

An Adventure to be Had

In just over a month, Cathy and I will climb aboard an airplane en route to the Far East for a second time as a married couple. We will be staying in Hong Kong before taking a hop to Bangkok Thailand. For the first time in several years, I am excited about a plane ride and a visit to a foreign land.

Several years ago we flew to Seoul, South Korea then into Manila, The Philippines. After a few days in Manila we jumped on a plane to Hong Kong. We did a tour of Bruce Lee's former city, suffered from an illness, and boarded the Turbo Jet to Macau, the Las Vegas of Asia.

During out stay in these Chinese lands we experienced life on a scale not understood by those who have not had the opportunity to leave their own borders. I saw what real poverty is, beyond the scope of American "poor." I witnessed a county that forbade the use of four wheeled automobiles without issuance from the government, which made itself the most two-wheeled traveled country in the world.

The Philippines is home to millions of people on seven thousand plus islands. Some of the nicest, most humble individuals in the world walk their streets, despite a lack of industry to support a populace in need of work. I cannot stress enough the beauty of the Filipinos and the glorious landscape that makes up their country.

Cathy and I then traveled to Tokyo, Japan where we experienced a culture romanticized in American movies (and for good reason). Japan is a country where politeness is expected and rudeness shunned. I watched thousands of people walk around without bumping into one another, and once, while standing in a store, a lady asked my forgiveness for standing next to me as she looked at an item on a store shelf. Can you imagine?

As I said earlier, we are both excited about our upcoming trip; I am most excited about traveling to Thailand and experiencing the sites, smells, and lifestyle of the Thai people. Experiencing how others live and operate within their own country's boundaries is what I most enjoy. Yes, I'm certain I will do "touristy" stuff, but my focus is always on the people of the land.

More to follow...

1 comment:

  1. Go to Chiang Mai and Chiang Rei. AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...