Thursday, September 29, 2011

My martial arts training and teaching

has grown considerably over the years.  As I've aged I've found it easier to accomodate larger, younger individuals by taking into account Jigoro Kano's adage, "When the enemy wants to enter your house, open the door.  When he wants to leave, show him the way."  Kano sensei was essentially telling you to take an opponent's energy and move with it, almost like dancing, which intensifies a punch, throw, kick, etc. delivered to the opponent.

Currently, I only have one student.  This will probably change in the next week or so, but it's interesting for me to watch my new student learn and understand what I see as easy concepts.  Sometimes being the teacher means being the student all over again, as I must open my mind and heart to his energy and level of understanding. 

Lastly, my newest student's screams insure I'm doing the technique correctly, but my voracious laughter at his screams make moving to the next technique rather......difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...