Thursday, March 15, 2012

living vicariously through Corporal Klinger

Hanging out for a few days in Toledo, Ohio, which isn't necessarily a vacation destination for most folks, has given me the opportunity to partake in some of the more ethnic foods in some pretty cool neighborhoods and restaurants.

Decimated by the auto industry's financial woes the last several years, the metropolitan Toledo area has seen a lot of its population leave the area.  That being said, there are still very diversified and ethnic areas left completely intact; one such place is the Birmingham area of Toledo, which houses a "new" favorite restaurant of mine Tony Packo's

Jamie Farr made the place a hit in the 1970's when he mentioned the family owned restaurant and pub on the hit show MASH, which resides in Jamie's old neighborhood.  As a result the restaurant became a stopping point for a lot of celebrities who willfully signed sandwhich buns for the store owners.  These buns were preserved, framed and hung with pride on the walls.

The food is good--not great.  But knowing Klinger hung out here made the food seem much better!

So there, I'm a fan and will be returning to this place my next trip to Toledo.  There's just something to be said about ambiance in one of those hole in the wall places that we all like frequent whenever possible.

Now, I need to go put my housecoat on, step into my slippers and put my hair in rollers and hope for that section 8!

1 comment:

  1. lmao picturing you in housecoat and rollers. I preferred some of Klinger's more formal attire; I think one outfit included a tiara.

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...