Sunday, October 21, 2012

Grand Design or Incredible Chance?

As I jogged on a nearby path in a local forest preserve, I couldn't help but take in the simple grandeur all around me.  The beautiful fall foliage, clean smells of nature and clear blue sky allowed my mind to drift as my foot falls pounded beneath me.  Magnificent yellows, golds and reds burst forth from maple and oak trees, while small purple wild flowers swayed gently in the constant breeze.  A shallow creek flowed over small and medium sized rocks while ducks and geese floated along its waters.

I breathed deeply enjoying the scents nature had to offer and wiped away a couple of tears torn from my eyes by the wind.  When my heart was steadily pounding in my chest and my breathing began to labor, I focused my mind on everything around me.  I paid close attention to the crunching of fallen leaves as my feet landed on the select few in my way.

At some point and time during my jog (I don't recall how long I had been on the path) I considered how perfectly in synch everything seemed to be.  It occured to me that those who do not believe in a higher power are looking at things too simplistically.  If you consider that our planet's orbit around the sun had to be just right to support life, that conditions have to be almost exact for a planet to support water, that our sun has to be a particular size so as not to burn us up or freeze us to death, then you are dabbling in the arena of unbeknownst statistics.  Taking it a step further, were you to look around you at all that nature has to offer, from the tranquil grasshopper thinking about which plant to jump on to the racoon scavenging for food to a grown man with average intelligence jogging in an area attempting to soak in his surroundings, then you have to believe in a higher power. 

I definitely am not attempting to preach at you, faithful reader, only offering my perspective into and on life.  The natural order of things seems to me to have been meticulously thought out and perfectly made.  That all of this may have been left to chance defies logic, or at least my logic. 

As I continued my jog I caught a drift of a skunk and thought that God must have seriously twisted sense of humor.  A couple of jogs ago I ran right behind a small possum focused intently on whatever it was trying to catch.  I remember thinking that either that was the dumbest possum in the world or perhaps it was deaf.  No matter which, Darwin obviously wasn't always right when he thought that only the strongest would survive.  I didn't mess with this nasty looking little animal and he simply stared at me as I continued to run past him.  Was it divine intervention that kept us from having a scuffle?  I don't really know, but I do know I trodded on leaving the little fellow to his own devices.

The next time you find yourself outside the confines of some man-made creation stop for a moment to decide for yourself if everything around you was a result of chance or maybe some grander design.  You might amaze yourself with your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...