Monday, October 8, 2012

Will Someone Pass the Prozac?

Whatever shall I do with myself after the election?  So enamored with news, polls, statistics and political conversation, I fear spontaneous human combustion when I have nothing else to hold my attention.  Yes, I realize I still have Alabama football, but even the regular season will be over at the end of November. 

I have begun researching counselors and therapists to get me through the rough times, my detox certain to set in on November 7th.  Prozac and Wellbuten may be my friends for six months at least, perhaps more.  Romney-Obama.  Obama-Romney.  The chant echos in my head and comes to me in my dreams.  At what point in my life did I start caring about this stuff?  Why can't I do anything in moderation?  Why can't I get my wife to stop watching O'Reilly or Hannity?  When will the NFL be fun again?

Gallup, Pew, Rassmussen and Politico.  The presidential elections have captured my attention the past sixteen years, but moreso the past three cycles.  Joe Biden has become one of my favorite politicians ever; I would love to have this guy over for dinner and a beer.  No, I don't agree with him politically, but wouldn't I be the hit of the neighborhood if I could throw a party with Uncle Joe as my keynote speaker and guest?  I've got to compose a letter to him.  Perhaps he'll pencil me in after January!

The University of Alabama is 5-0 thus far this season.  They shut out two football teams in back-to-back victories, and during every commercial, during each time out, I found myself turning to news channels or checking some of my favorite news and political websites for information.  Those who know me probably fear for my personal safety after reading this.  It's scary!

I don't know.  Maybe I should plan a weeklong hiking trip.  No phone, no internet, no television, no human interaction.  Perhaps deep in the woods I could convulse and shake with no witnesses then return to my normal self, my addiction finally kicked. 

But in the interim I have twenty-nine days left to sate my thirst for everything political.  I can watch Ryan and Biden debate then watch the President and Romney go at it two more times.  I'll remain glued to the television and listen to the radio in hopes my candidate is winning in the polls and pulls through in lavish fashion!

And now, I must turn my attention to the most recent USA Today poll of likely voters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...