Friday, December 21, 2012

Falling Victim to Corporate Marketing

I admit it.  I took the bait hook, line and sinker.  The History Channel (both one and two) sucked me in with all the talk about the Mayan Apocalypse (perhaps because I've visited Chichenitza personally), Ancient Aliens, Kulkukahn, aligned planets, certain death and destruction and the possibility of sentient awakening.  Yes, I sat mesmerized in front of my television for weeks on end, superfluously engaged in television marketing carried out in perfect form.

I've prepped (just in case), considered the remote possibility that the world could end on the Winter Solstice for no good reason other than I had it ram-rodded into my brain, albeit voluntarily, for several weeks on cable television and on the Internet.  All the while I thought my own mind stronger than that storm trooper tricked by Obi Wan Kenobi on Tatooine by a Jedi mind trick.  I failed dismally.  Master Yoda would have kicked me out of his swamp on day one after realizing how easily I could fall for the simplest of mind gaffs.

Now we find ourselves moving into 2013 and I've begun scratching my head at those who fear the number thirteen for no apparent reason at all.  I have to wonder if I will fall prey to the superstition created after the Knights Templar were rounded up and slaughtered on Friday the 13th.  Yes, I've researched that too.  It would seem that many humans have both a fear of the end times AND a morbid fascination with it.  And it would seem that I am one of those many humans.  I type this both proudly and ashamedly.

Honestly, I wondered if and how the Earth would end--solar flares, alien invasion, nuclear war, Gog/Magog, power grid corruption, massive computer failure, polar shift, global anarchy, earthquakes, floods, food shortages, global warming...............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrgggggghhhh!!!

So now I am forced to face the world on the 22nd of December.  Luckily I love life and all that it offers--the bad and the good.  I have Christmas to look forward to, a new year to ring in, time with family, a road trip to make, hard decisions to face, and all the stuff in between. 

We can all thank the Mayans for their inexorable ability to tell time, Nostradamus for predicting Hitler's rise and the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Holy Bible for telling us that "no one knows the time or day" that everything will end.  Living life one day at a time should probably resonate with us all, but most especially me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...