Monday, June 12, 2017

Back on Track (I Think I Can, I Think I Can)

I am blessed that I do not suffer from writer's block, nor have I ever. Ideas for books, magazine articles, or my blogs come relatively easy for me. Like I said, I am blessed--this isn't intended as bragging. In some regards it's almost debilitating, as there is so much I want to share and find myself lacking focus on one project then jumping to the next.


I rationalize it like this, "I've got to get these ideas into my computer before they slip from my memory. If I do that, I can always come back to the previous ones and finish them."


Well, I have begun the last and final project until I finish the previous ones. There are four or five active titles that I have started and not pushed through to completion, but I have refocused and rededicated myself to getting those done!


One of the larger issues I face, and many, many other do as well, is having enough time to work on our written projects (or music, or gardens, or motorcycles, etc.). While writing my first two novels, I approached them in a businesslike manner: I would force myself to write "x" number of words per week. If I slacked off one day, I pushed myself the next to make up for the previous. In doing so, I managed to complete the second novel (rough draft) in a matter of months, go through the editing process, and watch the finished product be born.


So, I am back to approaching my writing as both a love and a business. I love to write, but discipline must drive the project. From a practical standpoint, dedicating a proscribed amount of time each day to write is the best way to finish projects. Now that I am forcing myself back on that path, I hope to complete at least one project by the end of the year. Another one that I began almost two years ago keeps nagging at me to finish--that will be next up. After those, I will return to the world of Bill Evers, bringing him and his adventures back to life. How I have missed writing about Bill, Buddy, and the gang!


There you have it--I'm back on this writing thing. The fire is reignited and burning hot. Okay, that's probably an exaggeration, but I am busy at the keyboard once again. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...