Sunday, May 20, 2018

Life Churns, but We Focus Not Only on Today

Human beings are rather complicated creatures. A college professor of mine once quoted the following, "The only thing that separates us from the rest of the animal kingdom are table manners." For the longest I agreed with this trite sentiment, but over the years I've learned to disagree...somewhat.

We live in the emotional, some more than others. Since other animals can't speak, nor convey specific emotion, we assume they are either happy or content. But we are unique in this old world. We have at our disposal so many ways to communicate how we feel, our wants, our desires, and our obligations.

In our youth, we are often told we "believe the world revolves around us," but that is not really true in the purest sense of the word. While young, we only focused on the here and now, and have little concept of tomorrow or years down the road. Seventy years of age to an eighteen year old seems a million light years from them.

As we age, we become more socially, economically, and humanly aware. Our focus changes ever-so-slightly over time so that a legacy is left for our own children and grandchildren, however large or small it may be. Our impact on other's lives means more to us than it did when we had hair, lacked wrinkles, or the dreaded middle age spread.

This weekend, I was reminded of this more so than normal. As I normally do, my weekends are very busy with work, especially during the Spring and Summer months. However, I stopped for a moment to consider my children and where they are in their lives. I thought about my Mom, and my mother-in-law and how I hoped I made them proud. From deep down inside, I realized my legacy was two-fold: a desire for my children and family to be proud of me and what I have done in life, and to leave something positive for them all should I exit this world tomorrow.

All the money in the world doesn't matter, all the empty words, or simplistic and meaningless gifts we give have nothing to do with legacy. Memories and positive impact are what make us immortal in other's eyes. And while this sounds ego-centric, I believe this lasting legacy is what most of us want.

We are all human beings with our own faults, dreams, and desires. Why shouldn't we help those closest to us achieve those things they desire, or at least give them our undying love and support while they make way through this world.

Peace, love, and coffee to you all.

1 comment:

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...