Saturday, May 5, 2018

My Baby and the United States Army

Something that is uniquely different about the United States and many countries around the world is the phrase volunteer force. Militaries around the globe still have mandatory requirements for men (and sometimes women) to serve for a certain amount of time. Here in the States, conscription is not in place and our service members serve of their own free will.

Yesterday, May 5th, along with members of my family, our youngest daughter was publicly sworn into the U.S. Army. Hooah! It was a site to behold--dozens of our young standing on the old federal building steps in Gadsden, Alabama, each wearing shirts representing their respective branch of the military. They stood their before their recruiters and family and repeated their promise to uphold and protect the United States Constitution, and to protect us all against enemies "foreign and domestic." Wow.

I spent time considering that oath and realized the things I have done in my life pale in comparison to the promise these kids made. And close to the top of those steps stood my daughter Cassidy. She was beautiful, smiling, excited, and happy. Her dad was proud, happy, sad, and apprehensive all at the same time.

It is a natural thing for a parent to worry about their child. My concerns are even higher for a kid who enjoys sleeping to the crack of noon, walks like a tortured P.O.W. when asked to wash her dishes, and grunts when told to make her bed. But...but...but...

Over the past few months since she elected to join the military, I have watched a form of discipline overtake her. She willingly goes to P.T. during the week and, literally, runs laps around others who were a part of the group standing on those steps. Her little arms started taking on a much more muscular shape, and my proudest moment...

Prior to her swearing in, our neighbor, who is a pastor of a local church, came over and asked if he could pray over her. "Sure," she said. Before praying, he asked her a few questions about God, love, and perseverance. Each time she responded, she said, "Yes sir." To say my heart swelled with pride would be an understatement. She gets it, I know she gets it, and a pastor who is probably used to hearing, "Yeah," and "Uh huh" when he speaks with youth gets it too. She closed her eyes and concentrated on the prayer he offered then went on to work on a chore I had assigned her. She didn't even grunt this time.

Yeah, I am nervous and simultaneously overwhelmed with pride.

Go Cassidy, and go Army!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Congratulations Cassidy! Thank you for your willingness to serve our country. Many of the men in my life served. My Dad is an Army Korean War Vet, my husband is an Army Vietnam Vet. My brother was in the Air Force as the Vietnam war was ending and got his career start there before becoming a commercial pilot for Delta Airlines. Our son-in-law was an Army Middle East War helicopter pilot and deployed four times before receiving early retirement and now flies for the University of Utah but out of Rock Springs, WY. He and our daughter live in Mountain View with their 6 children ,close to us. I hope you have a great experience in the Army!

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...