Thursday, January 19, 2012

Buddah believer??

As I was having some after dinner discussion with a work colleague last night, our bar tender insisted on trying to start a political discussion.  She, the bartender, proudly proclaimed a.) her age (28), b.) her very liberal political allegiance, and c.) her "Buddah belief." 

Now, most who know me realize I'm pretty quick to jump into a political debate, but I refrained last night.  I didn't care about the bartender's age and really had no desire to even talk to her at all, as my discussion revolved more around work and family and such with Jason (my work colleague).

But the lass intrigued me with her proclamation of being a Buddha believer, but not necessarily a buddhist. 

"What exactly is a Buddha believer," I asked?

She rambled on about not necessarily believing in reincarnation but she did believe in the belief of reincarnation.

"Huh?"

She restated exactly what she had just attempted to explain.

"That made no sense whatsoever," I remarked.  "In fact, that may be the dumbest thing I've heard all day," I said to her.

Obviously angered by my response, she attempted again to explain her religious beliefs.

And here is what sent her over the edge:

"Listen, you are standing there telling us you are some kind of liberal and a Buddha believer, whatever that is.  You talk about rich people sharing their wealth with people who didn't do anything to deserve or earn it.   But what I'm here to tell you is Buddha was a one percenter."

"NO HE WASN'T," she exclaimed!

"Yes he was.  And I'll prove my point.  He was a fat little bastard and ate everything.  Apparently he didn't share much food, so I say he was a one percenter."

She was aghast at my retort and went on to tell me that the Buddha would actually go for quite some time without eating so he would have to be thin.

"No, he was a fat bastard and I have the statue at home to prove it.  He was a little fat dude."

Flabbergasted she stormed away while everyone else sitting around pointed and laughed at her.

I love winning a debate.

2 comments:

  1. HA! I LOVE IT! I have a "friend" who sounds just like that. She gets flustered when anyone brings up a point that she can't explain. I'll have to use the line that he's "a little fat dude."
    Ranee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does she also think the Dali lama is an actual lama?

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...