Monday, August 20, 2012

The Life Collector

People's personal stories fascinate me.  I'm particularly amazed by immigrants stories, and more specifically those who struggled along the way and found themselves in The States for a better life.  My wife's own family who didn't have a bad life in The Philippines but wanted to come to the United States because the promise of freedom and hope loomed everlasting.  The struggles of a Mexican family who came to this country in search of menial task labor because that labor promised so much more than what they had in their home country still sticks in my mind.  How about a Tibetan family, forced from their country by the communist Chinese, who landed in Nepal?  Their daughter was born there (Nepal) and raised in India.  Subsequently, she found herself in the United States going to college in search of the elusive dream.  Perhaps you would like to read about my Polish friend whose family fled the persecution of Hitler's Nazis, and whose family landed in New York City hoping to make a good life in a new land?

Then there's my good friend who was born in the U.S., raised part time in Jamaica then moved to Guyana for her secondary education?  How intelligent she is!  I recall a friend from Thailand whose family was still poor by American standards, but they were thankful every day for what little they had.  My Native American friend and spiritual advisor who has faced death on such a level that most grown men would have broken down long ago.  Still, his outlook for humanity is so positive and his love affair with this Earth is insurmountable! 

I have met so many people from all over the world and each has blessed me by being a part of my life and for allowing me to be a part of theirs.  And I'm reminded each day how spoiled we are here and how much we take for granted--it's simply amazing. 

But in keeping with my title, I consider myself an individual attuned to the heartbeat of the individual.  Perhaps my worldly perspective is skewed tremendously, but on the human level I am all ears because your story (whoever you are) captivates me. 

I was touched by the words a recent widow wrote about her deceased husband; the simplicity of her statement touched me to the core when she reminisced about moving to the west with her husband almost two decades ago, and the cool, crisp days spent on their farm together.  They didn't have indoor plumbing at the time but their life was perfect. 

Not long ago I spent an afternoon fishing with a man who barely had a high school education.  His learnings came through hard knocks and life lessons.  I walked away with a few fish for the freezer and a whole new respect for a self-made man.  He now owns his own company and is on the verge of retirement.  What an inspiration!

There's the story of a man I knew who fought in three different wars and was decorated beyond belief for his service to our country.  This man was a full blooded Native American and had the right to hate everything about this country and its leadership because of the way his people were treated a generation earlier; rather, he embraced and risked his life for this land.  I'm still in awe of this man.

We all have stories, some funny, some surreal and some very simple.  What's important is that we understand perspective, origins and desire.  Once this happens we can all be happier people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...