Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Tide

It's my most favorite time of the year.  If you follow me on Facebook, you might respond by asking, "election time?"  Nay, nay say I!  No, I get a little worked up at election time, but we all know how to tell when a politician is lying--when his/her mouth is moving.  No, my most favorite time of the year is when college football finally kicks off.

That's right--college football.  Not the overpaid cry baby "professionals" in "The League," but those kids who put heart and soul into the game and play because they love the sport.  It's that time of the year when this middle aged man dons one of his crimson jerseys, grabs a shaker (that's a man's pom-pom) and screams at the top of his lungs at a team who can't hear him. 

In victory I'm unbearable to be around.  In defeat I'm unbearable to be around.  But I keep coming back to the television every Saturday screaming and yelling, recliner coaching and wondering why my Tide won't run an option instead of play action?  I hope for our cross state rivals to lose every game and beat a path to my computer to rub it in the face of the Auburn faithful when it happens.  Yes, I'm an obnoxious fan who never attended the University of Alabama, but I was born into the crimson family.  I grew up yelling "Roll Tide Roll," worshiping at the house of the Bear and wondering why we hired Shula.

I still get tingly when I get to attend a game at Bryant-Denny Stadium.  And still chuckle at all the pork being cooked in the Quad after beating Arkansas (the Razorbacks/Hogs).  I love watching beaten Tennessee fans leave the stadium with their heads hung low and I revel in the defeat of a Georgia Bulldog. 

This past weekend at my sweet mother's house (I'm the favorite son and spend much time with my mom when I'm back home, while my younger brother pays her no attention), we watched Alabama destroy Big 10 opponent Michigan.  Michigan was ranked number eight in the nation in pre-season polls and Alabama was ranked number two.  The final score: 41-14 Alabama.

Who can't get excited about something like this?  What could make this man happier on a college football Saturday?

Wait.  There is one thing that makes me happier: when Auburn loses and Alabama wins.

That happened this past Saturday and I'm very happy.  I'm also unbearable to be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...