Saturday, September 29, 2012

the transition

Yesterday we sold our house in the Chicago suburbs and were able to breath a sigh of relief.  We've been very fortunate to be able pay for two houses for several months, but things were tight and luxury items were a thing of the past.  Now the discipline of not purchasing luxury items and remaining focused on being debt free is our goal.  It's really not so difficult for me because I don't like spending money, but I've created a monster in Cathy who pinches every single penny, stretches each one into a dime (I'm still perplexed with her ability to do so) and takes frugality to a whole new level.

Living in an apartment, after living in a spacious house, is a huge transition for us.  We can't get away from each other and sometimes we suffer from a tad too much "us time."  Solitude happens only with a trip to the bathroom and even that may not afford us ample refuge from one another.  Walking outside and being around this many people makes me uncomfortable; I prefer to be a social recluse but accept my prison term for a few years knowing we can get to a better financial place in a few years.

I wonder how my neighbors will react to my screams of "Roll Tide" this evening?  Will I be forced to explain my chant to local law enforcement?  Will we be evicted after only a few days on site?  How will my conservative yard signs be embraced by the other tenants and will my proclivities for planting them like some wayward yard artisan be frowned upon?  Only time will tell......

The nice thing is we are both a little closer to work and will save time and gas going to and fro our offices.  I'm certain the suburbs will raise the price of gas to compensate for the loss of revenue since our move, but in the short term it'll be good to keep a few extra cents.

But most importantly will be when we realize our goals and finally wind up "home."  Until then....

ROLL TIDE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...