Saturday, December 7, 2013

I Celebrate Christmas

In a world gone awry, Christmas continues to be a constant reminder of hope.  We live in a time of apologists; we apologize for being American, for our race, for our gender and for our religion.  I peer into the future and fear for what may become of our once great nation.  When did it become offensive to tell someone "Merry Christmas?"  When did retailers decide their profits could still be had even if they posted "Happy Holidays?"

Whether you recognize Christ as Savior is irrelevant to me.  What matters is that America panders to those who would disagree with the majority--yes, Christians are still the majority here in the States.  Personally, if you celebrate Ramadan, Hanukah or Happy Buddhist Day that's your prerogative and I don't care.  But your chosen religion DOES NOT GIVE YOU THE RIGHT to demand a removal of Christian signage or verbiage because you simply disagree with it. 

It's almost humorous to hear those who proclaim no religion at all to tell us how "spiritual" they are.  What they really are is intolerant and bigoted.  I suspect they, those who don't like the Christmas tradition and everything it represents, are really jealous that many have faith in something much larger than the human condition.  I merely ask: what's wrong with that?

People can point to church organizations whose leaders are sometimes miscreants and steal money or commit a crime, but the teachings told us in the Bible have nothing to do with those individuals.  Humans are humans and fall far from perfection each day, but that should have no bearing on what the Gospels preach.

Lastly, if I should say Merry Christmas to you in passing, don't be offended.  Just smile and say "thank you."  I didn't intend it as an insult but if you take it as one, then understand....I won't apologize.  :)

1 comment:

  1. I take the SNL approach myself... include all the salutations together ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...