Wednesday, December 6, 2017

My Christmas Wish List

I'm not going to lie. I have been blessed in every way imaginable. So much so, that I cannot think of a single thing I personally want or need for Christmas. Friends, family, love, and laughter warm my heart and make me thankful for an incredibly rich life. Beyond those things, can a material possession really bring us joy? I think not.


In the world of good and misfortunes, there are obviously those who could use a little help or a hand with something. It is, in my opinion, a travesty to only think or act on helping (if you are physically and financially capable) during the holidays, but I also take into consideration how much more giving people are at this time of year. We should not be surprised by the number of people who dislike the holidays for one reason or other, so please keep them in mind should you decide to give someone a gift, a meal, or whatever. Oftentimes, people who dislike the holidays are the ones who have suffered the most, or grieve for loved ones taken around this time.


Recently, I learned of a friend's life that was unexpectedly taken. Just like that--a loving, friendly, outgoing person is gone. No material item will bring this person back. The only thing the family will have will be memories of their loved one now gone. This makes me sad on a level I cannot explain.


With that, I have thought about my Christmas wish list, and what I (or we) can do or give to bring a little joy to someone's life. How plausible is it to do something from the heart without thought of having something in return? After all, that is what the concept of gift giving and charity are built upon. Lest we take for granted all we have, please remember if you have a roof over your head, shoes on your feet, and food on your table, you are rich in comparison to the majority of the world.

My wish list is as follows:


  • I would love for everyone reading this to call someone you haven't spoken to in a long, long time and tell them they are/were on your mind. If this person is someone with whom you have fallen out of favor with, or someone you feel has "done you wrong," make an effort to call them and wish them a Merry Christmas. Yes, this can be difficult, but being human isn't always easy.
  • Take a small gift to a neighbor you don't speak to or really know. How cool would it be to make a new friend?
  • Write a letter to a lost loved one and seal it in an envelope. This can be a very healing experience.
  • Help someone you don't know. This doesn't have to be a money thing at all! Be creative.
  • Stay off your phone while you are driving. Okay, this qualifies more as a pet peeve, but this is my list!
  • Do not allow stress to get the better of you during the holidays. Everything you do, do with a smile.
  • And finally, love your friends and family deeply. What better gift is there than that?


If you do one or all of these items, I congratulate you and love the fact that you are in my life. While I can come across as abrasive and cocky, as one person recently told me, I do have a passion for humanism and humanity.

Merry Christmas to you all!







2 comments:

  1. Howard- You are a great friend and I love you like a brother. I have never found you cocky, even when you kicked me in the face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, you know you and your family have always held a special place in my heart. Love you, brother!

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...