Sunday, December 31, 2017

Happy New Year!

2018 slammed into us like the Titanic on a massive iceberg. The song "Baby It's Cold Outside" comes to mind! All of North America is gripped by an Arctic cold front causing people to make their faucets slowly drip water, heaters work overtime, and wives with hairy winter legs snuggle with their husbands.

Many of us will create resolutions which will be forgotten or ignored in a couple of weeks. Gyms will be crowded until the end of February with people intent on getting their beach bodies whipped into shape, while regulars wait patiently for the bench presses to be freed up. New sneakers will be broken in on treadmills that will soon double as clothes hangers. Beat feet, o' ye of rotundness (that's me)!

Some of us will swear off alcohol, fatty foods, and sedentary lifestyles. Y'all have fun with that one! As for me and my house, we shall be realists. I'm a believer in baby steps. Currently, I'm swearing off swearing things off. That is a form of progress isn't it?

With that said, here are my 2018 goals (you can call them resolutions, but I'm not a fan of that word):

  • Be a better husband and father. I do what I can, but there's always room for improvement!
  • Be a better friend to those who are truly friends.
  • Write more!
  • Publish at least one book (maybe two).
  • Not roll my eyes when Cathy yells, "Hon?" from another room.
  • Share more positivity, even when the subject matter is negative.
  • Laugh lots, love more
  • Make others laugh as often as possible. Others laughing makes me happy.
I think this is a pretty good list. As I read through it again, I realize it is not a living, breathing list, nor is it flexible. In my mind, these are all tangible, achievable goals that will remain in place, even when turds push my buttons. Was that negative? Sorry, I'll do better!

Things like, "I hope the new year brings you happiness and prosperity" are so cliché, but I honestly do want that for all of us. I will wish this for everyone on January 1st, throughout the entire year, and again on December 31st.

Let me close by saying this--I am happy that our paths have crossed. Whether we know each other on a personal level, in passing, or just online, you are all a part of my life and you make things good in a world that seems to tread in the deeps of evil and treachery. Thank you all for who you are!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...