Thursday, December 21, 2017

My Final Blog of 2017

This is my last blog entry of 2017, so it seemed appropriate to take a stroll down memory lane. The year, at least for me, has been one of excitement and wonderful memories. There have been a few bad days and even some sad ones naturally, but by far and away, the year has been wonderful!

We swore in a new president, and whether you like him or not, the fact that we live in a country that has free and open elections is a luxury so many Americans take for granted. The peaceful transfer of power is envied all of the world, and while we enjoy talking about the cretins inhabiting the cesspool we call Washington D.C., we should be proud that our forefathers set up our system of government the way they did.

I was able to meet new friends and spend time with others that I have known for some time at a writers conference in Alabama. It was awesome to see my old friend Gary Gabelhouse, formerly of Nebraska and now living in Montana. He flew in from Lincoln to speak to so many aspiring writers about the "craft," marketing, and everything that should happen after a book goes to press. It was truly an inspiring talk!

I made a couple of business related trips and got to see former co-workers and, more importantly, friends that I had not seen for years! It was great seeing my old buddy Gordon Cordasco again, as well as Bob Ciriello who sadly passed away a couple of weeks after I left. These are/were great men that I have been fortunate to know and spend a part of my life with, even if we were in the Oreo trenches and struggling to survive. :)

While in New Jersey, I spent time with my daughter Courtney and her little family. It is always a perfect time when I get to hang out with them. A few months later, our grandson Rylan flew down and got introduced to country living for a week. Before he left to go home, the city boy had fired a few guns, caught a bunch of fish, and learned how to drive a tractor. The city boy was full on country!

Another stop made during the summer was in New Bern, North Carolina for a weekend of martial arts training. Getting to hang out with old friends, sweat, and train together is always a perfect time. I can honestly say that my karate training has afforded me a lifetime of friendships I would otherwise never have made.

Speaking of martial arts training, I flew to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania for an incredible weekend of training. When I left to go home, I was the proud recipient of about fifteen bruises up and down my arms. Sensei Terry Valentino and Sensei Peter Giffen are two exceptionally gifted teachers with world class personalities. The other instructors who taught sections are also wonderful!

Cathy and I made another trip to Asia in November. We returned to Hong Kong for a week where I got the opportunity to explore the island mostly solo while she was stuck in meetings. We did manage time together for a day long excursion to Lantau Island where we got to see the Giant Buddha, or Tan Tien Buddha. The site was so impressive, as was the beautiful monastery located on the grounds.

We left Hong Kong for Bangkok, Thailand to celebrate our anniversary. I have detailed this trip in an earlier blog if you are interested to read about our adventure, but I would like to stress that Thailand is a magical country filled with gloriously nice people. I look forward to the day that we get to return there. The Buddhist temples, the River Kwai, the food, the markets, the smells--I loved everything about the place.

Early December saw another martial arts related event when two of my students tested for black belt ranks in front of an assembled panel of advanced karate-ka. Deb Ginn, sensei, Mike Jones, sensei, Randy Franks, sensei, Chris Nelson, sensei, Jim Merriss, sensei, and Taylor Franks, sensei bore witness to the test and promotion of Watts and Moore sensei(s). It was so good to see that many of my closest friends in one place again.

Now, Christmas is almost upon us. To be honest, I have felt very Christmas-y this year. It seems like the holiday grows ever more materialistic, but I am probably just getting cantankerous in my old age. I suspect I will be more in the Christmas mood once the holiday is finally here.

I do hope and pray for everyone to have a beautiful Christmas surrounded by family and friends, and hope you all have a glorious New Year!




2 comments:

  1. Good blog Sensei, I enjoyed the informal visit you made to my dojo sometime back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tim sensei! I remember that day fondly. I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas and prosperous New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...