Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Human Interaction Is Everything and I Have Proof!

The Interwebs and social media make being a keyboard warrior easy in every imaginable way. 99.999999999% of the time, there is no accountability or consequences for the things people write or post online, as they peck away on their phones or laptops in the safety of their own homes. This social separation, because that is what it really is, has opened the door to hate on a disproportionate scale.


Everyone has a voice; everyone has an opinion. No matter how factually incorrect something may be, it has little bearing on a person's willingness and ability to send it out to the world. Doing so only drives more of a divide, because, again, there are no consequences to speak of for doing it.


"But, Howard--you can always unfriend someone, or stop following them if they do that," someone may argue.


True, but their remark/post is still out there, and without fail it won't be removed because their "opinion is just as important as anyone else's."


This flawed logic notwithstanding, it is easy to see why society is in disarray. There is so little human interaction anymore. Even when we are with people, we are disconnected from them and attached to our mobile devices. As such, I have begun calling the networking sites, "unsocial media," because I feel that is a more accurate portrayal of what they have morphed into over the past decade.


This past weekend, I had the most excellent fortune to meet and see people on a human level. For weeks leading up to Saturday's event, I advertised my book signing for locals in my area to come see me and other local authors at a bookstore in Albertville, Alabama. The turn-out was 100 times what I was expecting. After all, I am just a guy from a small town in Alabama who enjoys writing. I am no one special, but I do get a certain satisfaction knowing my work may touch someone in a positive way.


People came from near and far; one drove all the way from Panama City Beach, Florida (an almost six hour drive) through thunderstorms to meet ME. Another drove from Knoxville, Tennessee just to meet ME. And so many new and old friends from the surrounding communities came out to meet ME.


And in all of their travels, and with all the books I signed, the discussions we had with one another, phones in our pockets or on a table, were the most memorable. We talked and laughed then talked some more. That, my friends, is social. It was brought about by an old media--books. Perhaps we should look to the past as we pave our way into the future.


To everyone who came to talk and hang out this past Saturday--you made my day. To those who could not make it, I hope to see you soon!


Peace, love, and bacon,


~h

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...