Wednesday, August 8, 2018

This Event, Future Projects, and Time

Time--the invisible but ever-constant concept that limits what we can and want to do. Since the dawn of man, we have watched the sun cross over the sky, the stars move across the darkened landscape above, and peered into the elongated shadows of a waning day in effort to understand the here and now. We build clocks and electronic devices to measure that which we can not see, but feel it slipping through our fingers like water over a stone.


This weekend, Saturday morning at 10:00 AM until 1:00 PM central time, Cathy, Rex, and I will be on site at a local bookstore (*ahem* Shades of Pemberley in Albertville, AL) to meet, greet, and sign books. Those three short hours are always something I am grateful for when at a book signing event. It makes me gloriously happy to meet new people who have read, or intend on reading my work. It is also a time for me to see old friends once again who come out to support a middle-aged guy intent on writing and bringing some form of realistic escape to his readers.


I have said this many times before, but I will write again here: without readers, there are no writers. We share a soul-linked bond with one another. When someone reads another person's work, they invariably take a look inside the mind, heart, and soul of the writer, and as a result, forever share a level of intimacy unlike any other.


Perhaps that sounds a tad dramatic, but I believe it down to the very marrow in my bones. The only thing better than bringing to life the characters, dialogue, and locations that waft freely inside my mind is hearing from someone who shared in that experience by reading my work. That is the truest definition of intimacy in my book, if you will pardon the pun.


All that said, those who follow my "author" Facebook page know I have been slowly working on other projects as well. One such work is a compilation I am putting together of the trials and tribulations others have faced. The stories are all gut-wrenching, true life accounts, and as such I wait patiently while others pen their stories. This book will take me into unchartered territory, as I am a writer of fiction, rather than non-fiction. Getting outside my comfort zone will do me good, I know, but like most things new, this one makes me nervous.


My return to action-adventure fiction, however, is something that has already occurred. I am working on the next Bill Evers novel. As with my previous two Evers' novels, this one will be filled with conspiracy, martial arts action, much travel (mostly U.S. centered this time), and technology interspersed with the somewhere that is not here and now.


To all who continue to support me and other writers: thank you so much! You make what we do worth it.


Cathy, Rex, and I will see you all Saturday (if you can make it), and look forward to sharing a few moments of time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...