Saturday, February 18, 2012

can I be heterosexual and still have a boyfriend?

Listen, I'm a pretty conservative guy--I like to think I have "traditional, conservative American values," whatever that means.  I'm a firm believer in the United States Constitution and all it entails and stands for, and think our country is the greatest in the world (I'm kinda biased that way).

But I'm pretty tired of labels, especially when people are trying to apply those labels to me.  Simply stated, if I want to make fun of someone and apply a label to him or her, well, that's okay, but I'm thin skinned when it comes to others applying labels to me.

So, I want some leeway in life.  Why is it okay for a heterosexual girl to have a girlfriend and no one thinks anything of it?  No one assumes a girl to be homosexual if she has a girlfriend, right?  At least they shouldn't....

Why can't I have a boyfriend?  I mean, why does another guy who I happen to be good friends with have to be described as one of my boys, or a homie, my "good friend so-and-so," etc.?  Why can't I say, "Yeah, Bill is my boyfriend" without worrying about a stigma being assigned to me or being fearful of some repercussion?

Now, before you go running around telling everyone I call guys my boyfriends, that's just not the case.  Not yet anyway.....so hey guys, by a show of hands....how many of you would be okay if I said, "Yeah, the dude's my boyfriend.  What?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...