Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Bama Trip (and it is a trip) Part III

Cathy worked diligently in the house to get things put away and organized.  I sat around and moaned about how sore I was after unloading all of our crap.  We stayed at Mom's Sunday night but moved to our new home Monday evening and met my friends Rachel and Tonya for dinner.  We got to see friends and I got to eat.  It was a win/win.

Monday saw the dawn of a new era for us--the Lowe's Era.  If we made one trip to Lowe's we made a thousand.  By the end of the week I was on speaking terms with just about every employee, knew something about most of them and probably knew a few of their kin folks.  Had there been an opportunity to run for President of Lowe's I would have been a front runner because it seemed like I politiced as much as I purchased, which was a lot.

Tuesday we had the stuff we had ordered from Lowe's delivered to the house.  Specifically, my new riding mower showed up.  I gave the instruction manual a cursory glance, threw it aside and cranked ole girl up.  The transmission wouldn't engage but my temper did--I was not happy.  For ten minutes I fiddled with the mower, actually read the manual and gradually became more frustrated.  Finally, in a huff, I got off Big Green fully prepared to give it a kick when I noticed a metal "bar" sticking out the lower bottom of the mower.  Alongside the bar was a diagram depicting the engagement of the transmission (I just had to push the bar in).  In my defense, it wasn't outlined in the manual, which made me even madder.

I hopped back on Big Green and proceded to mow.....and mow.......and mow.  When I got tired of mowing, I mowed some more.....and more....and more.  My skin tone was now a beautiful crimson, which ironically matches my favorite football team's colors.  My skin hurt like Donte' Hightower had just sacked me for a twenty yard loss.  The bugs ate on me like a bucktoothed kid would chew on a cob of corn.  I stank like a dumpster.  But at the end of the day I had mowed five and a half acres of land (with help from Harvey, my step-pops). 

I took a shower and my wife asked if I wanted to go to Lowe's because we needed something else.  I wondered if I would get the house in the divorce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...