Sunday, June 3, 2012

The Bama Trip (and it is a trip) Part I

I've spent the last week removed from what most would consider civilization; that is, disconnected electronically from the rest of the world.  Admittedly, it was a struggle for me at first, but after a day or two of jerky withdrawals I was able to focus on the things that mattered--like moving into my new home.  I've had a few hours to recall my ride to and stay in Alabama and since it's been a couple of weeks since my last post, I thought I would share this recent run of memories with you, faithful reader.

I worked all day Friday May 25th at my job that actually pays me money.  I distinguish between this job and my home "job," because I'm not paid to work at home, or at least not monetarily. The 25th began around 6:00 AM and wrapped up around 4:00 PM, a fairly typical work day, minus an hour or two.  I was excited about getting to Alabama and my new home, but had to drive to my Chicago home to pick up the wife and Abby before swinging through Indiana to pick up my youngest, Cassidy.  Memorial Day traffic was brutal and for two hours we were stuck in a flotilla of cars and trucks trying to get out of the city.

We finally picked up Cassidy and hit Interstate 65 South pointing toward Alabama and the promised land.  Everyone else was giddy and chatty; I was focused but tired.  Driving across Indiana is like walking across broken glass barefoot for six hours, but not as pleasant.  And given my recent run-in with Indianapolis law enforcement personnel, I was forced to drive pretty close to the speed limit because my domestic navigator was insistent that I do so.

Sometime around Elizabethtown, Kentucky, which equated to 1:00 AM CST (and almost twenty-four hours without sleep), I began to see large birds and figurines standing along the roadside.  When I say large birds and figurines, I'm not talking about your run-of-the-mill buzzard; on the contrary, I'm talking about birds, wings tucked stoicly by their sides, majestically standing four stories tall.  I realize now I was not at all frightened but simply amazed at how large these birds were!  And the figurines of clowns and people from American history were just as impressive. 

Now, I reckon when my wife awoke from her nap on the passenger side she must have noted the look of utter amazement on my face.  "Do you need me to drive, honey?"

I quickly shook my head wanting to engage her in conversation and show her the gigantic birds and figurines lining the expressway.  However, once I had shook my head and cleared the cobwebs I realized I must have been halucinating.  Fortunately, I didn't say anything to her about what I had "seen," and replied, "Uh, yeah.  You can drive."

We changed places, my head hit the head rest on the seat and I didn't remember anything else until Nashville, Tennessee.......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...