Friday, June 8, 2012

The Bama Trip (and it is a trip) Part V

Saturday evening brought about an end to this Bama journey but left me with an indelible taste for the state in general and the area in particular.  Cathy and I are both counting the days until our next trip and now recognize our new house as our home. 
A few other memorable moments from the trip:

  • Meeting our next door neighbors who are exceptionally nice and polite.  Danny told us, when asked where we live and where we were from (and upon my telling him Marshall County is home), "Once you get Sand Mountain between your toes you always come back."
  • We had a couple of bonfires while we were there and the kids roasted hot dogs and made smores. 
  • We met Molly, the neighbor's dog, who will be the subject of a later writing. 
  • I got to see friends and family that I haven't seen in a long time.  And I hope it'll be a long time before I see some of them again.
  • We saw numerous turtles coming out of the lake making their annual pilgrimage to lay their eggs away from the water and natural predators.  Many of them made their way through our yard; apparently they weren't aware they were trespassing.
  • Alabama drivers are still the worst in the country; glad to see some things haven't changed.
  • I've learned that I've lost some of my patience for the pace of the South--I hope to correct this very soon.
  • Alabamians love my wife but strangers don't want to talk to the yankee.
  • I didn't get a ticket in Indiana, nor did I see the Indiana state trooper in the white undercover Dodge pick-up truck.
  • Wintzell's has really good food.
  • I'm getting tired of Cracker Barrel.
  • I'm really tired of Lowe's.
  • I'm really, really tired of hanging blinds and curtain rods.
This concludes my five part Bama Trip series.  Can't wait for the next road romp!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Media and Censorship

 If 2020 has taught us anything it is the power of popular opinion can sway most anyone into doing things and taking action when they should...